Living a healthy lifestyle is key to keeping your body strong and able to fight off illness. But, when you or someone you love has been diagnosed with cancer, it becomes even more important to focus on what you can do to help your body ward off the disease. Research has demonstrated that making healthy lifestyle choices can reduce your risk of developing some types of cancer, and even help you survive if you have been diagnosed with the disease. Keep reading to learn several diet and exercise changes that have been proven to help reduce cancer risk and give your body the best chance at fighting back against the terrible disease. Read on for tips on how changing up your lifestyle habits may be critical in helping protect yourself from cancer!
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Eating healthy foods can help your body fight cancer in many ways. Eating plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and other nutrient-dense foods helps support the immune system and provides your body with essential vitamins and minerals that fight off infections and diseases like cancer. Eating a balanced diet and limiting processed foods and sugars can also help manage stress levels, which is crucial to a healthier lifestyle.
- Exercise Regularly: Regular exercise is essential for overall health, but it can also help reduce the risk of developing cancer or help to slow its progression if you have been diagnosed with the disease. Exercise helps to boost the immune system and keep your body strong and healthy. Aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, but any amount of activity is beneficial.
- Quit Smoking: Cigarette smoking has been linked to an increased risk for many types of cancer, so quitting smoking can significantly lower your chances of developing the disease. Quitting smoking can also reduce your risk of recurrence if you have previously been diagnosed with cancer. Even if you’ve already been diagnosed with cancer, quitting smoking can help to slow its progression.
- Reduce Alcohol Consumption: Heavy drinking has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, so reducing your alcohol consumption can help to lower your chances of developing the disease. Even if you’ve already been diagnosed with cancer, cutting back on alcohol can help reduce symptoms and improve overall survival rates.
- Reduce Stress: Chronic stress can cause an increase in certain hormones that can lead to cancer development, so taking steps to reduce stress is important for overall health and well-being. Managing your stress levels can help to reduce anxiety, improve sleep patterns, and increase overall energy levels. Exercise and relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation are great ways to reduce stress. Try to practice mindful activities such as yoga or meditation to help keep your stress levels in check and give your body a better chance of fighting off cancer.
Forsythe Cancer Care Center in Reno, Nevada is here to help you fight cancer!
Making positive lifestyle changes can have a huge impact on your health and well-being, especially when it comes to fighting off cancer. Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, quitting smoking, reducing alcohol consumption, and reducing stress levels are all important steps that can help your body fight cancer. Take the time to make these changes for your long-term health.
If you are concerned you are at risk for developing cancer, or if you have already been diagnosed, contact Forsythe Cancer Care Center in Reno, Nevada to learn what treatment options are available to you. We will help guide and support you in making healthy lifestyle changes to help fight the disease.